Deviantart - Fictionpress

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Zombie

Music: Loved (Game Music) (Just the game music)

I think the cat knew before I did. In fact, I'm sure of it.

Ferdi, (short for Ferdinand) was unusually hostile that morning. He usually woke me up with a cold paw to my face, nudging at my nose in an effort to get me up so I could feed him breakfast. I woke to my alarm that morning, and that was unusual.

I had thought that perhaps Ferdi was being uncharacteristically merciful and allowing me to sleep in, and so when I finally managed to drag myself out of bed, I went looking for him.

I soft, low growl sounded from below my bed, and I knelt to peek under the bed skirt. Ferdi's yellow-green eyes glowed back at me in that way only cats and dog's eyes can. I clicked my tongue at him, and extended a hand, and he hissed, swatting his paw out at me. A moment later, he gave a strange, angry cry, and I heard the soft wet sound of piddle on carpet.

His eyes had shifted from me to the bedroom door, and his growling continued, and even in the low light, I could see every hair on his body standing up straight. I followed his gaze and saw nothing.

My cat had been hysterically afraid of something that morning, enough for him to pee himself, and I had no idea why. I had left him under the bed that morning, wondering if if perhaps he were sick. It had bothered me most of the afternoon too.

I'm pretty sure he knew what was going to happen that day, and if I had too, I would have hid under the bed with him.

Funny how life-altering historical events always pick the most inoppertune time to hit you. It was my day off, the day that 5.9 of the 6 billion people on Earth died.

-To be Continued-

0 comments: